I’d like to share with you a great little creative thinking tool that you can use to help give your career a boost. In fact, you can apply it to help you find a solution to almost any challenge you might be facing!
The reverse thinking tool is a simple way to think about your challenge from an entirely new perspective.
For example, if you have been feeling stuck at work for a while, and you’re unsure how to extract yourself from your current career, then you could ask yourself this question:
What could I do to guarantee that I stay stuck in this career?
Possibly not the sort of question you might expect a career coach to be asking! Bear with me. As you think about this question, you may already be coming up with some thoughts. Your answers might include:
- I could carry on being unclear about what I really want instead of this job.
- I could carry on wearing the smiley face sticker when I go to work, because it feels really vulnerable to admit to anyone what’s really going on for me.
- I could continue not asking for help.
- I could carry on believing I’m not good enough.
- I could carry on gathering evidence that change is too risky, especially in this economic climate.
Now, simply reverse your answers and solutions begin to emerge:
- I could get clearer about what I really want instead of this job.
- I could share how I’m really feeling with someone I trust.
- I could ask for help.
- I could find a way to start believing in myself.
- I could start gathering evidence that change can be rewarded, even in this economic climate.
If you are facing some career challenges that you would like to discuss with an experienced career coach, I’d love to hear from you. Contact me today and we can arrange a free 40 minute, no obligation conversation where I will help you find some answers.