Stressed at Work? You are not alone! Stress at work is one of the biggest causes of illness in the UK. One- in-five Britons are stressed at work and between September 2011 and September 2012 around 6400 people were hospitalised with stress.
Stress can be caused by poor job design, poor organisation and management resulting in you not being able to cope with the demands that are placed upon you.
Here are my top 5 tips to relax instantly when you are stressed at work:
- Breathe! Take few deep breathes, you’ll immediately feel some of your tension dissolve.
- Move about. If you’ve been sitting for a long time, get up and move your body. Go for a short walk if possible, or do some simple stretches (in the loos if necessary!).
- Go and look at a view (preferably something pleasant). If your view consists of a concrete car park, look at the horizon, or up at the clouds.
- Laugh. Laughing they say is the best medicine. It’s true. Listening to the sound of laughter is contagious. I’ve just googled ‘ laughter’, and I can’t stop smiling
- Use your imagination and go to the beach, or a familiar place where you have relaxed before. See in detail what colours are in this place, hear the sounds and smell those comforting smells.
These tools can help you to feel more calm right now but the cause of why you are stressed at work should be addressed.
The UK Health & Safety Executive have set out guidelines and standards to combat work related stress and businesses must address work related stress in the workplace.
At Sandra Swan Coaching I specialise in helping companies and individuals manage and combat stress at work from stress awareness workshops to one to one coaching sessions.
I am able to work with organisations based in London, Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire.
If you or your team are stressed at work Please contact me to discuss your specific requirements.